Senior Project Health, Safety and Wellbeing Manager - Birmingham.
BAM Nuttall and our JV Partners are looking for a Senior Health, Safety and Wellbeing Manager to work on one of our major rail infrastructure projects based out of our Birmingham office.
Suitable candidates will have a strong background in complex Civil Engineering construction projects and, ideally, major, high profile infrastructure projects.
Your key activities will include:
• Develop a close working relationship with the client, supply chain and other stakeholders to ensure effective communication between all parties on Health, Safety and Wellbeing (H,S & W) matters.
• Attend and contribute to collaborative meetings, forums and workshops and represent the JV on all H,S & W matters and feedback to the JV team and supply chain.
• Support the development, communicating and implementation of the JV H,S & W management system and initiatives in line with the contractual requirements. Maintain the JV's OSHAS 18001 certification.
• Liaise with external bodies where required on all H,S & W matters.
• Actively involved and ensuring that H,S & W risks are identified and mitigated from conceptual design through to the construction phase and beyond with a strong emphasis on designing out H,S & W risks.
• Work collaboratively with the Client to develop a step change in innovative health, wellbeing and rehabilitation initiatives and processes where the focus is very much on prevention as opposed to treatment.
• Lead on the H,S & W strategies and champion a positive organisational cultural approach to world class H,S & W performance.
• To be an expert in H,S & W legislation and best practice to assist with compliance and continuous improvement.
• Support the development of training and communication strategies to ensure that all H,S & W plans and policies are understood and complied with by the JV employees and supply chain.
• Ensure that H,S & W performance is monitored and measured in line with the JV and Client's contractual requirements, including trend analysis.
• Lead and a develop a team of H,S & W practitioners.
• Manage the Occupational Health provider from a strategic perspective in line with the Clients contractual requirements.
• Promote the Client and JV vision and values in all dealings with other employees, Client, supply chain and other external contacts.
• Have a thorough understanding of accident root cause analysis methodology.
Your qualifications and experience will include:
• Detailed knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation and industry best practice.
• A strategic thinker.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to engage at a variety of levels throughout the business, including with the Client.
• Possess a level of technical experience to be able to constructively contribute to problem solving complex and sensitive safe systems of work from a pragmatic perspective.
• Good influencing and persuasive skills with an ability to build effective working relationships with people at all levels.
• Good listening, reflection and questioning skills to act as an effective coach to managers, supervisors and staff.
• Chartered Member of IOSH.
• NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent Level 6 qualification in occupational health and safety.
• IOSH Leading Safely (desirable).
• A working knowledge of OSHSAS 18001.
• A competent lead accident investigator with a thorough understanding of investigation methodologies.
• A confident and experienced line manager who is able to lead and develop others.
BAM Nuttall is focused on providing the highest professional standards in the civil engineering market, with emphasis on building strong, honest and long lasting relationships with satisfied customers. We have established an unrivalled reputation for delivering complex and challenging civil engineering projects that have played a significant role in shaping the infrastructure of modern Britain.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality of opportunity in all its employment practices, and to developing policies that support work-life balance.